Farmer’s Pork Chops
“Meat and potatoes” are said to be the classic country-style dinner combination when you’re just looking to kick back and enjoy some down-home cooking. Pork itself saw a spike in popularity in the 1960s when bacon was sold for 65 cents per pound, 20 cents cheaper than steak. This dinner recipe combines hearty potatoes with tender pork chops with a hint of onion and seasonings. Feel free to peel the potatoes or leave them unpeeled, whichever you prefer!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entrées
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) pork chops, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups whole milk or rich chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart oval or rectangular microwaveable baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place 1/2 cup of the ﬂour and the steak seasoning in a large zip-top bag and shake well. Add the pork chops and shake to coat the chops evenly with the ﬂour. Set aside.
- Scrub and slice the potatoes, piercing them with a fork to vent, and arrange in the prepared baking dish in an even layer. Arrange the onion slices on top. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for about 5 minutes, until the potatoes can be pierced with the tip of a knife but are not completely cooked.
- While the potatoes cook, in a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup ﬂour, the salt, and the cayenne and cook, stirring, until bubbles form and the mixture turns light yellow, about 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more, until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and shake the baking dish to distribute it evenly.
- In a skillet large enough to hold all the chops at once, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Shake the chops to remove any excess ﬂour and cook for 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown but not completely cooked. Arrange the chops on top of the potatoes and bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Serve.
Keywords: pork chops