When summer’s in full swing, I like to have a light lunch recipe I can turn to—one that will keep me going for the afternoon but that won’t weigh me down. In summer especially, when my lettuce harvest is abundant and ongoing, I’ll snag some fresh lettuce leaves from the garden as the base for my Cherry Chicken Lettuce Wraps.
Lettuce wraps are a great lunch choice any time of year, but they’re particularly refreshing and tasty in the summer. Add cherries freshly picked off the tree, and you have a delightful sweet burst of flavor to add to what is mostly a savory “sandwich.”
There’s so much in this recipe that you could grow yourself; you might be inspired to do some additional planting next season so you can have more fresh ingredients on hand without ever having to leave home!
I think you’ll enjoy the fresh, crisp flavor of these Cherry Chicken Lettuce Wraps. The preparation time is short enough that you can keep this recipe on hand for unexpected guests or simply as a delicious midday meal for yourself!Print
Cherry Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Crisp lettuce leaves make a crunchy and refreshing wrapper for the teriyaki chicken and cherry mixture. Our Cherry Chicken Lettuce Wraps make a wonderful summer lunch or dinner treat, so they’re a perfect menu choice when your harvest is just in.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Entrées
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pound sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/3 cup toasted and sliced almonds
- 12 lettuce leaves
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté chicken and ginger in hot oil until chicken is cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk vinegar, teriyaki sauce, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and honey together in a bowl. Add chicken mixture, cherries, carrots, green onion, and almonds; toss to combine.
- Spoon 1/12 of the chicken and cherry mixture onto the center of each lettuce leaf; roll leaf around filling and serve.
Have you tried this recipe? It’s so easy and healthy, yet totally delicious—please tell us how it turned out for you.