Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Chicken
When making these stuffed chicken breasts, brieﬂy freezing the cheese sticks beforehand will prevent them from melting and spilling out before the chicken is cooked.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entrées
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, cut from a block into long sticks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 bacon slices
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 7 × 10-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the cheese sticks in the freezer while prepping the remaining ingredients, about 20 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2–4 minutes, stirring, until translucent. Add the mushrooms, half the parsley, and the nutmeg and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms begin to brown and the juices evaporate, about 3 minutes.
- While the onions and mushrooms cook, cut the chicken horizontally and open like a book, placing it between two sheets of plastic wrap and pounding it if necessary to a 1/2-inch thickness. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- When the vegetables are cooked, lay one stick of cheese on each pounded chicken breast and top with one-quarter of the mushroom mixture. Tuck in the sides, then roll the chicken into a neat roll with the seam side down. Wrap each chicken breast completely with a slice of bacon, tucking the ends securely underneath—if the chicken breasts are large, you may need 1–2 additional bacon slices to wrap them entirely.
- Place the chicken seam-side down in the baking dish, sprinkle with the remaining parsley, and bake for 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Keywords: bacon, chicken