Chicken Noodle Casserole with Corn and Zucchini
When I was in elementary school, a friend’s family would invite me over for casserole night. The casserole was the star of the dinner table, and oftentimes there’d be some variation on a chicken and pasta casserole. This version is a little lighter with the use of whole wheat pasta and plenty of veggies, but it’ll make casserole night just as memorable.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Entrées
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces regular, whole- wheat, or gluten-free pasta, cooked and drained (I used cavatappi)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced- fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 zucchini, diced into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ﬂour and stir to cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in the broth until well combined and there are no lumps. Add the milk, thyme, and salt and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Allow the sauce to cook until it thickens, whisking frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the cooked pasta, chicken, ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese, the zucchini, and the corn.
- Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and heated through, about 20 minutes. Serve.
- To cook the chicken, place the breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Keywords: chicken, noodle, casserole, corn, zucchini, chicken noodle