Smothered Chicken ‘n’ Gravy
The southern United States can boast some of the best recipes around. They’re full of comfort- food ingredients cooked from the heart. The chopped onion and celery add a crunchy pop of texture that brings the whole dish together.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entrées
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika or cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups chicken broth, low-sodium preferred
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Chopped and whole parsley, for garnish
- Mashed potatoes, for serving
- In a large zip-top bag, combine the ﬂour, salt, paprika, and pepper and shake to mix. Add the chicken and close the top; use your hands to thoroughly coat the chicken with the ﬂour mixture. Transfer the chicken pieces onto a plate. Reserve the remaining ﬂour mixture.
- In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3–4 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Moderate the heat if necessary to be sure the butter does not brown or burn. The chicken may not be completely cooked; it will continue to cook in a later step.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the onion and celery to the pan and sauté, stirring, until the onion turns translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining dredging ﬂour to the pan and cook, stirring, until all the ﬂour has been absorbed, about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and return the chicken to the pan. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20–30 minutes, until fragrant and heated through. Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary. Stir in the cream (if using) and cook for an additional minute.
- Garnish with the Serve with mashed potatoes.
Keywords: chicken, gravy