Quinoa and Pepper Medley Casserole
Did you know that quinoa is a superfood? Packed with ﬁber, minerals, and protein, quinoa offers a lot of nutritional bang for the buck. Add beans and this dish will give you enough energy and good-for-you nutrients to power through your evening to-dos.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 5 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 poblano pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup finely diced jalapeño peppers
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and lightly coat a 9 × 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium cooking pot, cook the quinoa in 1 1/2 cups of water over medium heat for 15 minutes, until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, poblano, jalapeños, and garlic and sauté for 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the pepper mixture to a bowl.
- Add the quinoa, chili powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper to the empty skillet and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until the quinoa is toasted and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Place the beans in the baking dish. Spoon the quinoa over the beans in a smooth layer, scatter the peppers on top, and then add the cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until bubbling and the cheese is melted. Serve.
Keywords: quinoa, pepper, casserole, vegetarian