Chicken à la King in a Hurry
This may be a “vintage” recipe, famous in tearooms around the country since the 1940s, but we guarantee you and your guests will love it and be glad you’ve brought it back to the present.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entrées
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely diced celery
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- (10.5-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, half and-half, or whole milk
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into
- 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 4 biscuits from a can of refrigerated jumbo biscuits, baked
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and celery and sauté for 1 minute, then add the mushrooms, thyme, salt, and Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms release their juices and begin to brown lightly, about 4 minutes.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup, cream, chicken, and peas and stir over medium heat until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with biscuits.
- To cook the chicken, place the breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Keywords: chicken, chicken a la king