Fried Rice Teriyaki Casserole
Teriyaki is actually the name of a cooking technique originating in Japan in which foods are broiled or grilled with a sweet and salty soy sauce–based glaze. This casserole combines all the ﬂavors of ginger, soy, and sesame oil in one big rice bowl, served piping hot with peas, chicken, and broccoli. The sesame seeds that coat the sweet glaze add crunch from the ﬁrst bite.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- Teriyaki Sauce and Chicken
- 3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen stir-fry vegetables (broccoli, carrots, snow peas, water chestnuts)
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- For the teriyaki sauce and chicken: In a large saucepan, combine the soy sauce, 1/2 cup of the water, the sugar, honey, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and remaining 2 table spoons water to create a slurry. Add 1 teaspoon of the hot soy mixture to the slurry. Pour the slurry into the remaining soy mixture. Whisk until thickened and remove from the heat.
- Place the chicken in the prepared baking dish and pour 1 cup of the teriyaki sauce over the chicken. Set the remaining sauce aside. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- For the fried rice: While the chicken cooks, heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop the eggs into the skillet and cook, stirring with a spatula, until the eggs are scrambled. Add the cooked rice and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, place on a baking sheet, and shred with a fork and knife.
- Mix together the vegetables, rice, and chicken and add them to an 8 × 8-inch baking dish. Add 3 tablespoons of the reserved teriyaki sauce and stir to combine. Bake for 15 minutes. Drizzle with additional sauce and sprinkle with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve
Keywords: fried rice, rice, teriyaki, casserole