Broccoli Pesto Pasta
Hot pasta is tossed with a homemade broccoli pesto that combines fresh basil, garlic, walnuts, and fresh parmesan cheese for a healthy spin on a classic.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 1 lb pasta, like spaghetti or rotini
- 1 head of broccoli, heads saved, stems discarded or saved for later
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan (the real stuff, not the green can)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive or avocado oil – can be adjusted to your desired consistency
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: Pre-cooked, grilled chicken
- Boil 1 lb pasta using the instructions indicated on the package, strain, and set aside. Keep pot empty and ready for the last step.
- Add broccoli florets, basil, garlic, parmesan, and lemon juice to a food processor or a good blender, and pulse until totally chopped.
- Add oil slowly and pulse at intervals until it reaches your desired consistency, then add salt and pepper to your taste (easy on the salt, as the parmesan will add saltiness).
- When ready, add into the pot you cooked your pasta, turn heat up to medium until it begins to simmer, and let it cook for just a minute, then add pasta, pre-cooked grilled chicken if desired, toss, and enjoy!
Keywords: broccoli pesto