From time to time, we all need some comfort food — something that can satisfy the taste buds and soothe the soul. There’s certainly an entire grocery list of comfort food out there, but it doesn’t always have to be a complicated affair. If you’ve got eggs left in the pantry, then you’ve already got the perfect ingredient. I’m pretty sure you know what it’s for: egg salad, of course! Eggs boiled to perfection take center stage in this Egg Salad Recipe for Sandwiches.
Soft and slightly creamy, hard-boiled eggs are an amazing ingredient because they’re quite receptive to stronger flavors. At the same time, hard-boiled eggs have their own characteristic taste and texture that won’t be overshadowed by richer ingredients.
Of course, this egg salad sandwich recipe won’t be complete without some luscious mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, yellow mustard, finely diced celery stalks, chopped green onions, and the quintessential salt and pepper. Onions, celery, and pickle relish aren’t just there to add some crunch — they’re a trio that delivers a bit of spice, a dash of earthiness, and a rich sharpness that blends well with the eggs and mayo. Yellow mustard is tart and tangy, adding a crisp flavor to the mix.
Fresh romaine lettuce leaves are more than just greens holding the filling together. Bright, juicy, and refreshing, romaine lettuce has that sweet-as-an-iceberg taste that balances out the salad’s strong flavors.
Whether you choose white bread or wheat bread, this egg salad recipe is definitely one for the books! Take a bite off this delicious salad filling if your soul and stomach are in dire need of culinary comfort!Print
Egg Salad Recipe for Sandwiches
Simple and soulful comfort food doesn’t need to be complex when you’ve got this Egg Salad Recipe for Sandwiches!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 6 hard boiled eggs, cooled, peeled and chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped and including some of the green top (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 large stalk celery, cut into fine dice (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 slices firm white or wheat bread, crusts removed if desired
- Romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried well
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, pickle relish and mustard. Add chopped eggs, onion and celery and mix well. Add salt and pepper and stir.
- Chill in a covered container until ready to serve or make into sandwiches.
- Cut crusts from bread to form perfect squares, spread 2 heaping tablespoons egg salad on 9 of the slices.
- Top with lettuce cut to fit and stack them: bread, filling, lettuce, bread, filling, lettuce.
- Top with the final bread squares and cut in two diagonally; use a serrated knife and gently press down on the sandwich to make it hold together.
- Chill, well wrapped, until ready to serve.
Do you have a favorite egg salad recipe? How is it different than this Egg Salad Recipe for Sandwiches?