Skinny Tuna Noodle Casserole
Sometimes the easiest way to lighten up a favorite recipe is just to ﬁnd low-fat versions of the original ingredients. You can cut back on unneeded calories while maintaining the ideal com bination of ingredients. I also like adding in mushrooms, peas, and onions to get a full helping of veggies in each serving of this casserole.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Entrées
- 6 ounces no-yolk egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 10 ounces sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- 2 (5-ounce) cans tuna in water, drained
- 1 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the egg noodles and cook until 2 minutes shy of al dente. Drain and return the pasta to the pot.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-low.
- Add the ﬂour and a pinch of salt and stir well, cooking for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth until well combined, increasing the heat to medium and whisking well for 30 seconds. Then add the milk and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, add the mushrooms and peas, and season with salt and pepper to taste, and simmer on medium, mixing occasionally, until it thickens, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Add the drained tuna, stirring for another minute.
- Remove from the heat, add the cheddar cheese, and mix well until it melts. Add the noodles to the sauce and mix well until evenly coated.
- Pour into the baking dish and top with the Parmesan cheese and panko. Spray a little more cooking spray on top and bake for about 25 minutes. Slice and serve.
Keywords: tuna. noodle, casserole, tuna noodle