From-Scratch General Tso’s Chicken
When in doubt, you can’t go wrong with General Tso’s chicken. The combination of sweet and spicy makes the flavors unforgettable. We make these a little healthier by cooking it all in a slow cooker instead of deep frying it, so you don’t need to feel guilty when you’re chowing down.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4–6 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, or a combination, cut into 1½-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon sriracha, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water or chicken broth
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1 scallion, for garnish
- Spray the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken breasts, broth, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, ginger, garlic, sriracha, red pepper flakes, and sesame oil and stir to mix well. Place in the slow cooker, cover, and cook on Low for 4½ hours.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water or broth until smooth. Stir into the chicken mixture, cover, and cook on High for 20 to 30 minutes more, until the sauce thickens.
- Serve over white rice and garnish each serving with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and scallion.