King Ranch BBQ Chicken Casserole
One of my best friends spends a lot of time on the King Ranch, a big, beautiful place in Texas. This meal reminds me of my time with her in Texas, where we spent mornings running around the ranch and evenings toasting marshmallows and eating BBQ chicken.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 10 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cheese soup
- 1 (10-ounce) can RoTel tomatoes, undrained
- 16 ounces shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- 3 cups crushed tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the paprika, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Add the cubed chicken and toss to coat.
- In a large deep skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the bell pepper, onion, and jalapeño and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened and aromatic.
- Add the chicken and garlic and cook, stirring, for another through.
- 10 minutes. The chicken will be browned and mostly cooked through.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, cheese soup, and the tomatoes. Stir well.
- Set aside 1 cup of the cheese. Make layers in the casserole dish as follows: half the cooked chicken mixture, half the cheese, half the tortilla pieces, and half the soup mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the crushed corn tortilla chips, top with the remaining 1 cup shredded cheese and bake for 10 minutes more, until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Slice and serve.
Keywords: bbq chicken, casserole, chicken