Yes, you read that right—this Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic dish really does use 40 cloves of garlic! Because garlic mellows beautifully as it roasts, the result here is succulent chicken deliciously accompanied with savory-sweet garlic that you can enjoy by the forkful (maybe just not on a first date!).
I’m not sure where I came up with this recipe for Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic, but I know that I love garlic. And chicken. So it must have been a natural combination, and besides, I’m not the first one to make a recipe like this.
At first, my friends and family were a little hesitant to try the dish, but once they did, they were hooked. In fact, some of them even said it was the best chicken they’d ever had.
I make it often because it’s so easy. And when I do, everyone is happy. Especially me, because I get to enjoy all that delicious garlicky goodness!
This easy Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic recipe will quickly become part of your dinner rotation. All you need is chicken, some cupboard staples, and, of course, 40 cloves of garlic. After the chicken is pan-fried, it’s baked with all the cloves, which soften and caramelize into the most delicious morsels that you can either eat whole with your chicken, or spread like butter over some warm rolls.Print
Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
You may not want to serve this Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic on a first date, but family meals are fair game, and a most delicious sacrifice!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 to 6 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 2 pounds chicken whole or in pieces, bone-in and skin on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 40 cloves of garlic, peeled (about three heads of garlic)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use paper towels to pat chicken dry.
- Heat oil and butter in an oven-proof skillet or Dutch oven.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and brown them on all sides. Remove chicken pieces from pan.
- Add the wine and use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan (known as deglazing the pan).
- Place the chicken back in the pan, add the garlic cloves, thyme, and the remaining oil.
- Cover the pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove pan from oven and let chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Garlic is an essential ingredient in just about every kitchen. With the Glorious Garlic Gardening Guide, you’ll have everything you need to know about growing and enjoying this staple—from the history and health benefits of this ancient herb, to detailed and specific garlic gardening advice, and easy-to-make and delicious recipes that will allow you to spice up any dish!
Have you tried this recipe? It’s so easy, flavorful, and is a great Sunday dinner dish. Please tell us how it turned out for you.