Of all the Polish foods that Martha Stewart loves, pierogi are her favorite. I spent a few years working for her, and I remember when they were made for a holiday party. As she has always been a role model to me, I think of Martha when I make them, too. My take is a bit different: layered like lasagna and topped with bacon, the ﬂavors and textures will remind you of traditional pierogi, but put together in the most convenient way!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 10 lasagna noodles, regular or no-boil
- 3 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- Pinch sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups ricotta cheese, drained
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- If using regular lasagna noodles, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the noodles, and cook until al dente (If using no-boil noodles, skip this step.) Drain and rinse, place on a lightly greased baking sheet, and cover until ready to use.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the potatoes, and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter and the olive oil in a large skillet, add the onions and sugar, and sauté until the onions are golden and caramelized.
- Drain the potatoes. Mash with remaining 4 tablespoons butter, the milk, half-and-half, sour cream, salt, and pepper until smooth. Mix in 3 cups of cheddar.
- Place 4 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the baking dish. Top with 1 cup of ricotta. Spread one-third of the potato mixture on top of the ricotta. Spread one-third of the onions and one-third of the bacon over the potato mixture. Set 3 noodles on the bacon and top with the remaining ricotta, then layer with another third of the potato mixture, onions, and bacon. Place the last 3 noodles on top, then the remaining potato mixture, onions, and bacon.
- Top with the remaining cheddar and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden. Serve
Keywords: pierogi, casserole