Scalloped Potato and Beef Casserole
Who said gravy was the only thing to top potatoes with? Try sautéed beef and golden mush rooms to break out of your dinner routine. The smell of rosemary will ﬁll the kitchen, making this a meal to eat by the ﬁre, curled up at home.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (10.75-ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1∕3 cup minced shallots
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 russet potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly coat a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef with the mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, 4 cloves of the garlic, and the pepper ﬂakes, stirring to break up the meat, until the beef is no longer pink. In a bowl, combine the soup, cream, sour cream, shallots, Parmesan, rosemary, remaining garlic, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Layer the sliced potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish and top with the soup mixture. Sprinkle half of the cheddar and half of the Gruyère over the soup mixture and top with the meat mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Remove from the oven, top with the remaining cheddar and Gruyère, and bake for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted. Serve, garnished with fresh rosemary.
Keywords: scalloped potato, potato, beef, casserole