Chicken and Swiss Casserole
This is the kind of “welcome home” casserole your family is going to love you for making. Whether your spouse is away on a business trip or the kids are just coming back from camp, nothing says “I missed you” like a homemade meal.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entrées
- 2 slices white bread
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion, including some of the green tops
- 6 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- Sprigs of fresh sage, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut the bread into 1/2-inch cubes and toast on a baking sheet for 2–3 minutes until golden brown.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread, chicken, mayonnaise, celery, milk, salt, and pepper and toss to mix. Add all but 2 tablespoons each of the green onion and cheese to the bowl, and stir. Pour into the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining green onion and cheese.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes until the casserole is warmed through and the cheese is melted. Garnish with sage and serve.
Keywords: chicken, casserole