When I ﬁrst started working for Thomas Keller, I’d heard about his legendary roasted chicken. At ﬁrst I thought, what could be so great about roasted chicken? And then I tried his. It was amazing, and I made it my goal to learn how to roast a chicken as delectable as his. The secret is in the simplicity: Season it well; roast it hot. The skin will crisp beautifully if you make sure the chicken is dry before putting it in the oven, and it will stay juicy if you remember to baste occasionally. Serve this with Loaded Mashed Potatoes and steamed broccoli for a complete meal.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Entrées
- 1 (4-pound) whole chicken, giblets discarded
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season the chicken inside and out with the salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Place the chicken breast-side up in a roasting pan or large ovenproof skillet. Roast for 50 minutes, then baste the chicken with the pan juices. Continue roasting until the chicken’s juices run clear when the skin is pierced with a knife, an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, then carve and serve.
Keywords: roasted, chicken, roasted chicken