Crunchy Chicken Casserole
Casserole toppings have so many variations. My uncle always uses butter crackers, my grandma loves panko bread crumbs, and one of my best friends swears by potato chips. This is another winning variation where I used both cornﬂakes and almonds to give the dish a sweet crunch (without the unhealthy preservatives in potato chips).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can reduced- fat and reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup cornflakes
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8 × 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, mozzarella cheese, bell pepper, celery, scallions, cream of chicken soup, and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour into the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the cornﬂakes and almonds evenly over the chicken mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Allow to stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- To cook the chicken, place the breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Keywords: chicken, casserole