Creamy Chicken and Kale Casserole
A simple white sauce with whole-wheat penne and kale, this is one of my everyday favorites. The ﬂavors are cheesy and adding a leafy green, like kale, is a fun way to incorporate healthy vegetables into your dinner routine. I love how it wilts slightly with the heat and surrounds the chicken for a creamy bite.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 1 (13.25-ounce) box whole- wheat penne
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds kale, stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 32 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella and provolone mixture or Italian cheese blend
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup finely minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken breast meat
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly coat a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with cooking
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the penne and cook until al dente, drain, and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes, until soft. Add the kale, cover, and cook until the kale is slightly wilted, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the kale mixture to the pot with the pasta.
- In a large bowl, mix the ricotta, other cheeses, parsley, eggs, lemon zest, salt, pepper, and nutmeg until well combined.
- Add the chicken and the kale and pasta mixture and mix until well combined. Transfer to the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes until golden. Serve.
- To cook the chicken, place 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and shred or chop.
Keywords: chicken, kale, casserole