Scrumptious Sloppy Joe Casserole
Sloppy joes are a nostalgic and hearty weeknight meal, and a favorite alternative to a hamburger or chicken sandwich. Combining the zesty ground beef with beans and noodles and baking it all in a casserole dish is a quick way to serve a crowd, or a hungry family.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chiles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly coat a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the macaroni, and cook until al dente. Drain and reserve.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and pepper and sauté until soft. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until the meat turns brown and is no longer pink. Drain any remaining grease. Place the skillet back on the heat and add the beans, tomatoes, and chiles. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Combine the tomato-bean mixture with the beef and pour into the baking dish. Top with the cheese and bake for 10 minutes. Serve, garnished with fresh parsley if desired.
Keywords: sloppy joe, casserole