Veggie Soba Noodle Bowl
Rice noodles pair so well with mushrooms and other veggies that this bowl is healthier than you might think. The hard boiled egg adds a punch of protein and the veggies add texture. This is one bowl you’ll want to keep making every week!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 3 carrots, quartered crosswise
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 (4-inch) piece fresh ginger, leave whole
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (32 -ounce) box low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 boneless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces soba noodles
- 1 cup coarsely chopped bok choy
- 1 (8-ounce) can bamboo shoots
- 1 (15-ounce) can baby corn
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 4 “3 minute” boiled eggs, peeled
- Chile oil, for serving (optional)
- Spray the insert of 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Put the carrots, onion, mushrooms, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and broth in the slow cooker. Add 4 cups of water ant the chicken thighs. Cook on High for 8 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl and shred the meat with two forks. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, carefully strain the broth into a large saucepan. Remove the mushrooms from the strainer, quarter them, and set aside.
- Bring the broth to a boil over medium heat. Add the soba noodles and cook for a bout 4 minutes. Use tongs to transfer the noodles to a strainer and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. Add the bok choy to the boiling broth and cook for 2 minutes.
- To serve, divide the noodles among four bowls, top with chicken, bamboo shoots, baby corn, the mushrooms, and some scallions. Ladle the broth and bok choy over the top. Cut the boiled eggs in half and serve on top of the noodles/ Drizzle with chile oil, if desired.
- Place the eggs in a small pot of salted water. Bring to a boil. As soon as the water comes to a boil, time the eggs for 3 minutes while keeping the water boiling. Remove, peel while hot, and use as directed.