Using an onion soup mix packet really cuts the work in half. You don’t need to raid the spice cabinet to see what you can use for seasoning—it’s all provided for you!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 1 (4 1/2–5-pound) beef brisket
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (1-ounce) packet onion soup mix
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the beef brisket in the baking dish. Season both sides with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and onion soup mix. Pour over the brisket. Scatter the onion chunks around the dish. Loosely cover the brisket with aluminum foil and cook for 3 hours, or until completely tender (the internal temperature should be above 145 degrees F).
- Let rest for 10 minutes, then carve the brisket and serve with the pan juices with the fat removed.