Skinny Cheeseburger Casserole
“Skinny” and “cheeseburger” rarely come together in the same sentence, but when they do, it’s a pretty darn good thing. Whole-wheat pasta, rich in ﬁber, replaces the traditional bun, and adding light cheese and tomatoes instead of ketchup keeps this lower in fat and sugar. Don’t be afraid to clean your plate and ask for seconds.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 8 ounces whole-wheat elbow macaroni or penne
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle relish
- 6 slices (6 ounces) reduced- fat cheddar cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta, and cook until al dente. Drain and reserve.
- Meanwhile, in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté, stirring, for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the turkey and steak seasoning. Cook, stirring frequently, until the turkey is browned on the edges (the turkey may not be completely cooked but will ﬁnish in the oven). Drain any accumulated juices.
- Add the canned diced tomatoes, tomato paste, mustard, and relish, reduce the heat to medium, and stir until bubbling. Remove from the heat and stir in the drained pasta. Smooth the top. Cover the top of the casserole with the cheese slices, cutting as necessary to ﬁt. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the cheese is melted and the mixture bubbles. Garnish with diced tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve.
Keywords: cheeseburger casserole, casserole