Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup Casserole
I remember thinking as a kid whenever someone made a grilled cheese sandwich that they must be a professional cook. I think it was the ﬂipping of the bread and perfect browning that made this sandwich seem more like a culinary feat than the peanut butter and jelly I was used to. When served with tomato soup, this simple meal felt so fancy. During my years working in culi nary design, mashing up two beloved foods into one was a trend I saw often and loved. Grilled cheese and tomato soup are an ideal pair for this mash-up. Combining that rich and creamy tomato soup texture and taste with toasted bread and cheese, this ultimate comfort food is even better in casserole form.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 12 (1/2-inch thick) slices Italian or sourdough bread, lightly toasted
- 6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups half-and-half
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly coat a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread the cream cheese onto 6 slices of bread and sprinkle the basil over the cream cheese. Top with the provolone and the remaining bread slices and butter the top of each sandwich. Place the sandwiches in the baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper over medium heat. Cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the half-and-half and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, until a thick sauce forms.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Slowly add one-third of the tomato mixture. Whisk for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining tomato mixture. Pour over the sandwiches and sprinkle the Italian cheese blend over the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden and the cheese has melted. Serve
Keywords: grilled cheese, cheese, tomato, tomato soup, casserole