Country Chicken and Spinach Casserole
What a dish! It sort of looks like a salad, but believe me—this is no salad. Packed with cheese, this spinach and chicken combo is creamy and to die for, similar to spinach dip. Topped with torn toasted bread and baked until bubbling hot, this will be a family favorite.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entrées
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast meat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups torn challah bread
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Coat an 8-inch round baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the wine and continue to sauté for an additional 5 minutes. Add the cream and the ﬂour. Bring to a boil and stir Remove from the heat and add the spinach, chicken, salt, and pepper. Place the mixture in the baking dish and top with the torn challah. Melt the remaining butter and pour it over the bread. Bake for 10 minutes, until golden brown. Serve.
- To cook the chicken, place 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and shred.
Keywords: country chicken, chicken, spinach, casserole