Outrageous Cashew Chicken
Add a little crunch to your dinner with a nutty chicken recipe. This takeout specialty blends together all your favorite ﬂavors like soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, and ginger.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced ginger
- 3–4 green onions, sliced into 1-inch pieces, plus 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion tops, for garnish
- 1 cup roasted cashews
- Coat a 6-quart slow cooker insert with cooking spray and set aside.
- For the sauce: In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sweet chili sauce, sesame oil, and red pepper ﬂakes and set near the stove.
- For the chicken: In a large bowl, combine the chicken cubes, cornstarch, and white pepper, tossing with a fork or your hands to be sure the chicken is well coated.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the peanut oil over high heat until the oil shimmers. Add the garlic, ginger, and green onions and constantly toss and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken and continue to toss and stir until the chicken is lightly browned, about 1 minute. The chicken does not have to be completely cooked at this point.
- Add the prepared sauce to the pan and stir until it bubbles. Pour the chicken and sauce into the prepared slow cooker, cover, and cook for 3 hours on Low.
- Just before serving, add the roasted cashews and stir. Garnish with green onions and serve.
Keywords: cashew chicken, chicken