Country Comfort Chicken Casserole
I love the texture of fusilli noodles. The little spiral grooves are ideal for holding sauce and, when tossed with chicken and hot cheese sauce, they are some of the most comforting noodles around. This warm and cozy casserole is a countryside classic.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 14 ounces fusilli
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast meat
- 3 tablespoons Italian-style bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Fresh thyme, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly coat a 9 × 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the fusilli and 1 teaspoon salt, and cook until al dente. Drain and toss with the olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, cheese, and basil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the chicken and cooked fusilli. Spoon into the baking dish. Mix the bread crumbs and parsley and sprinkle on top, then drizzle with the melted butter. Bake for 30 minutes, until hot and Serve, garnished with fresh thyme if desired.
- To cook the chicken, place 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and chop.
Keywords: chicken, casserole