Easy as 1-2-3 Pineapple Chicken
Pineapple and brown sugar add a sweet twist to your typical chicken recipe. Along with an umami kick from soy sauce and the subtle acid of rice vinegar, these ingredients make it so easy to add a lot of ﬂavor without all the fuss.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-6 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple packed in pineapple juice, juice reserved
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon finely diced green onion, including some of the green tops
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine or basmati rice
- 3 cups chicken broth, low-sodium preferred
- Coat a 6-quart slow cooker insert with cooking spray.
- For the chicken: In a large bowl, combine the chicken and 1 tablespoon cornstarch and stir well until the chicken is coated with the cornstarch. Add the red bell pepper, red onion, pineapple, brown sugar, soy sauce, and rice vinegar and stir. Place the mixture into the slow cooker, cover, and cook for 3 3/4 hours on Low.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice and stir until smooth. Pour into the slow cooker, stirring well. Cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes on Low.
- For the rice: In a small bowl, combine the red and green bell pepper, red and green onion, and sesame oil and set aside.
- Cook the rice with the broth according to the package directions. Remove the lid and stir in the diced vegetable mixture, cover, and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving with the chicken mixture.
Keywords: pineapple, chicken