Chicken Pastry Turnovers
These turnovers look innocent enough upon ﬁrst glance, but once your guests pierce their forks through the buttery, ﬂaky crust, they’ll be pleasantly surprised to see the chicken and veggie mixture tumbling out. It’s like being greeted with a warm hug at the end of a long day.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Entrées
- 5 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth, low-sodium preferred
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced or shredded (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrot. Cook for 4–5 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Sprinkle the ﬂour over the vegetables, then whisk in the chicken broth, white wine, and half-and-half.
- Cook until thick, 1–2 minutes. Stir in the Dijon mustard, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken and peas. Remove from the heat.
- Unroll the pie crusts and, using a rolling pin, thin them out slightly. Using a bowl that is 5 inches across, cut out 4 circles of dough from each pie crust.
- Spoon as much ﬁlling as you can in the center of each circle of dough.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg white and milk. Use a pastry brush to wet the edges of the dough with the egg mixture. Fold the dough in half to create a semicircle, pressing to seal the edges. Crimp around the edges with a fork.
- Place on the baking sheet and brush the tops of the turnovers with the remaining egg mixture. Bake for 15–18 minutes until golden brown. Garnish with thyme and serve.
- To cook the chicken, place the breasts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.