Luscious Lemon Chicken
I always come back to this recipe around springtime. There’s something about adding a hint of lemon that adds a burst of sunshine to my day. Sometimes I’ll even make extra to reheat at work for lunch!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entrées
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium preferred
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Lemon wheels, for garnish
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the lemon juice.
- In a small saucepan, add the lemon zest, chicken broth, ginger, garlic, and brown sugar. Stir in the cornstarch mixture.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 2–3 minutes, until slightly thickened. Set aside while preparing the chicken. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and 2 tablespoons of water.
- In a shallow dish or pie plate, mix together the ﬂour and cornmeal.
- Dip the chicken in the egg white mixture, and then in the ﬂour mixture to coat evenly.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Fry the chicken pieces until they’re golden and the juices run clear, 10–12 minutes.
- Pour the lemon sauce over the chicken, serve with the white rice, and garnish with chopped green onions and lemon wheels.
Keywords: lemon, chicken