Cheesy Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
When I was living abroad in France, I decided to spend a long weekend in London to visit a friend. The ﬁrst place we went after I got off the train was a cozy pub that had the best shepherd’s pie. It was a heavenly relief after hours of traveling. I wanted to make a lighter version of that dish, so I could enjoy it whenever I liked without feeling guilty.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entrées
- 7 Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- Meat Filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Potato Topping
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat an 8 × 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Place on the stove over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- For the meat ﬁlling: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot. Sauté for 5 minutes, add the garlic, and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the ground turkey, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt, and pepper to taste. Cook the turkey for about 10 minutes, add the broth, and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add the frozen peas and stir to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water, add to the ground turkey, and cook a few minutes more to thicken the sauce.
- For the potato topping: Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Add the melted butter and milk and mash until creamy. Add the cream cheese and stir to combine. In a small bowl, combine the cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Mix half of the cheddar-mozzarella blend into the potatoes.
- Add the meat to the casserole dish. Top with the potatoes, then with the remaining cheese blend. Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Keywords: turkey, shepherd's pie