Easy Baked Firecracker Chicken
Choose your spice level with this easy recipe that adds a kick to your typical chicken and rice dinner. The brown sugar helps cut the spice a little bit, but it really depends on the hot sauce you choose to use. Serve with extra rice if you need to cool it down!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Entrées
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup bottled hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more as needed
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- Parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or a silicone baking mat.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, hot sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic, celery salt, and red pepper ﬂakes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, lay the chicken thighs in a single layer, smooth-side down, on the baking sheet. Brush with the vegetable oil and bake for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken smooth-side up and brush liberally with a third of the sauce. Bake for 5 minutes, then brush again with another third of the sauce. Bake for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and beginning to char along the edges.
- Serve over cooked white rice, garnish with parsley, and pass around the remaining sauce at the table.