Baked Zucchini Parmesan Casserole
Chicken and eggplant Parmesan are so last year. Zucchini Parmesan is the way to go. My hus band isn’t a big fan of eggplant, so when I was looking for a healthier version of Chicken Parm, I challenged myself to try something different.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Entrées
- 2 zucchinis
- 5 egg whites
- 3/4 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- 1 pound regular, whole- wheat, or gluten-free penne pasta
- 2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut the zucchini into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Put the egg whites and bread crumbs in separate shallow
- Dip the zucchini pieces into the egg white and then cover with the bread crumbs. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, carefully ﬂipping once toward the end. Remove from the oven when browned and ﬁrm.
- While the zucchini bakes, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the penne pasta until al dente. Drain and mix together with 2 cups of the tomato sauce and ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese. Pour into the baking dish.
- Arrange the baked zucchini pieces over the top. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melting and everything is hot and bubbling.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Keywords: zucchini, parmesan, casserole