Corn Chip Chicken Casserole
Layers of Frito corn chips add the perfect crunch to this smoky chicken casserole. Onions, bell pepper, and garlic add fresh flavor while the cheese soup and shredded cheese make this dish an easy favorite.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Entrées
- 5 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 8 ounces cheddar, sliced
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes with chiles
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 cups corn chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and lightly coat a deep 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine 3 tablespoons of the oil with the chili powder, cayenne, salt, and cumin and stir to moisten the spices completely. Add the chicken and toss to coat.
- In a deep 10-inch skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add the onions, bell pepper, and garlic, and sauté, stirring, for 10 minutes. Add the chicken, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Layer half of the chicken, half of the cheddar, and half of the tortilla pieces in the baking dish; repeat. In a bowl, combine the soups and tomatoes and pour over the casserole. Bake for 20 minutes. Top with the shredded cheese and the corn chips and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until bubbling. Serve.