Slow Cooker Chicken Piccata
This traditional dish is usually made with veal in Italy, but the chicken version has been em braced here in the United States, and I’ve adapted it for an easy slow cooker version. Serve along side your favorite sautéed or steamed green vegetable and a glass of wine for a romantic night in.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entrées
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup dry Italian-flavored bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- (6-ounce) jar marinated artichokes, drained
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- Cooked linguine, lemon wedges and chopped fresh parsley, for serving
- Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally, then slice crosswise in half again, leaving you with four pieces per breast.
- Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water and pour into a pie plate or shallow bowl. Combine the bread crumbs, oregano, salt, and pepper in another pie plate or shallow bowl. Dredge the chicken pieces ﬁrst in the egg and then in the crumb mixture, patting to coat each piece completely.
- In a wide, heavy-bottom skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until lightly golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. The chicken may not be completely cooked through—it will continue to cook in the slow cooker.
- Coat a 6-quart slow cooker insert with cooking spray. Place the chicken in a single layer in the bottom of the slow cooker insert.
- In the same pan used for the chicken, combine the chicken broth, white wine, and lemon juice and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Scatter the artichokes and capers over the chicken and pour the broth mixture over the top. Cover and cook for 4 hours on Low.
- Serve over linguine, garnished with lemon wedges and parsley.
Keywords: chicken, chicken piccata, slow cooker