Weeknight Turkey Lasagna
My grandmother’s lasagna recipe takes all day to make because she labors over the stove, mak ing the most delicious tomato and meat sauce. During the week, I’ve found that I can take a few simple shortcuts to make a mouthwatering meal that tastes just as wonderful as Grandma’s. It’s hearty and warm, ﬁlled with gooey cheese and plenty of sauce. If you have time, double the recipe and freeze the second portion for up to a moneth; it reheats amazingly well!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (24-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant but not brown. Add the turkey and cook, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Stir in the jar of marinara sauce and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, ﬁll a large bowl with hot tap Add the lasagna noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, 1 cup of the Parmesan, the egg, salt, and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Ladle one-third of the sauce into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Add layers as follows: half the lasagna noodles, half the mozzarella, half the basil, half the ricotta mixture, and one-half of the remaining sauce. Add the rest of the noodles, mozzarella, basil, ricotta, and ﬁnally, sauce. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup of the Parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese begins to brown. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
Keywords: turkey, lasagna