Classic Meat Loaf
The ’50s and ’60s were a time to rediscover creativity in the kitchen, and meat loaf allowed home cooks to really stretch their wings. Have fun adapting this basic recipe to ﬁt your every whim, from adding a mashed potato topping to switching out the meat used and much more!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8-10 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced carrot
- 1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, panko, milk, egg, onion, carrot, bell pepper, and salt and black pepper to taste. Gently mix all the ingredients together. Do not overmix or pack the meat too tightly.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the prepared loaf pan and gently press evenly into the pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup, barbecue sauce, and brown sugar. Pour over the meat loaf.
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and pour off any excess fat that has accumulated.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Add 1 cup grated cheese for a cheesy meat loaf.
Keywords: meat loaf