Hearty Burrito Casserole
My husband is a big fan of the bowl or burrito from his favorite fast-casual Mexican food place. On days when I don’t feel like eating out, this is my go-to alternative to satisfy that craving with out leaving the house. If you love the elements that make a big burrito, this one’s for you: it’s cheesy, packed with beans and beef, and topped with crispy tortillas.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (1-ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly coat a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat; add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes, until translucent. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring to break up the meat, for 4 to 5 minutes until the meat is no longer pink. Stir in the cilantro and taco seasoning and cook for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the soup, salsa, and sour cream. Spread 1 cup of the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Top with half of the tortilla strips in a ﬂat layer. Spread the refried beans over the tortillas in a smooth layer. Add half of the meat mixture, topped with half of the cheese. Spread the remaining soup mixture on top of the cheese and top with the remaining meat mixture and the remaining tortilla strips. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling and the cheese is Serve.
Keywords: burrito, burrito casserole, casserole