I remember going to the local deli with my grandfather when I was a kid. We always ordered Reubens. It was an odd choice for a small child, but while most of my friends wanted PB&J or grilled cheese, I loved the tangy sauerkraut and rich beef. Make these in the evening in a panini press and devour with chips.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entrées
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 slices marbled rye bread
- 1 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 16 slices deli corned beef
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- Preheat a panini press on medium heat.
- Lightly butter one side of each bread slice. Spread the unbuttered sides with Thousand Island dressing. On the dressing side of 4 slices of bread, layer 1 slice cheese, 4 slices corned beef, 1/4 cup sauerkraut and 1 more slice of Top with the remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- Place the sandwiches on the press and cook until both sides are golden brown, about 15 minutes per side. Serve hot.
Keywords: reuben, panini