Creamy Chicken and Kale Casserole
Chicken and kale are a match made in heaven. You have the health beneﬁts of the superfood kale along with the comfort of creamy chicken and multiple Italian cheeses.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 8-10 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 1 (13.25-ounce) box rigatoni or penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds kale, stems and ribs removed, leaves torn or cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped or shredded (about 3 cups)
- 24 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup shredded Italian- blend cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the rigatoni and cook until al dente. Drain and return the pasta to the pot.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and cook until tender, 3–5 minutes. Add the kale, cover, and cook until the kale is wilted and tender, 3–5 minutes. Add to the pot with the pasta.
- Mix in the chicken, ricotta cheese, mascarpone cheese, Italian-blend cheese, 3/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the lemon zest, and the parsley. Transfer the mixture to the casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko, the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and the thyme. Sprinkle the mixture over the casserole. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and hot. Slice and serve.
Keywords: chicken, kale, casserole