Here’s a new way to serve chicken—spiced with balsamic vinegar, and sweetened with blackberries. Add fresh blackberries for a garnish and accept the compliments.Print
Blackberry Balsamic Chicken
Here’s a new way to serve chicken—spiced with balsamic vinegar, and sweetened with blackberries. Add fresh blackberries for a garnish and accept the compliments.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 - Makes 4 chicken breasts 1x
- Category: Entrées
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup mashed fresh blackberries (or blackberry preserves)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch, or as desired (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken breasts until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- While the chicken breasts are cooking, whisk together the chicken broth, thyme, blackberries, and balsamic vinegar.
- Once the chicken breasts have browned on both sides, pour in the blackberry sauce and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center. Flip the chicken breasts over halfway through cooking.
- For a thicker sauce, mix 1/2 teaspoon of cornstarch with about 2 teaspoons of water, and stir into the simmering sauce. Let the sauce cook until it is thickened, about 1 minute.
- Serve chicken breasts with the blackberry sauce.
Have you made this unique chicken dish? Please tell us how your family or friends liked it.