This vintage recipe debuted in the early 1970s when Kraft Foods introduced its instant pistachio pudding mix. Originally called Pistachio Pineapple Delight, a Chicago newspaper dubbed it “Watergate Salad”—and the name stuck!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Chilling Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6-8 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice, undrained
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package pistachio instant pudding mix
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (8-ounce) container whipped topping, thawed, plus more for garnish, if desired
- Chopped nuts, for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the crushed pineapple, pudding mix, marshmallows, and pecans.
- Fold in the whipped topping. Pour into an 8 × 8-inch baking dish.
- Cover and chill for 4 hours or longer.
- Top with additional whipped topping and chopped nuts, if desired. Slice or scoop portions onto plates. Serve.
Keywords: watergate, salad