Turtle Thumbprint Cookies
Turtle desserts are the ultimate indulgence, and these turtle cookies are worth it. When you combine classic turtles with thumbprint cookies, you get a modern marvel.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Chill Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 27 minutes
- Yield: Makes 24 cookies 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 6 caramel candies
- Flaked sea salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Separate the egg, setting aside the white in a small, covered bowl. In a small bowl, combine the yolk, milk, and vanilla.
- In another small bowl, sift together the ﬂour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In a stand mixer ﬁtted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed for 2 minutes until smooth, then add the sugar and beat for an additional 2 minutes, until light and ﬂuffy. Add the egg yolk mixture and beat until blended. With the mixer running on medium speed, gradually add the ﬂour mixture until well blended. Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap and roll it into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap the log in the plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour or up to 12 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put the pecans in a small bowl. Use a fork to lightly beat the reserved egg white. Slice the log crosswise into 24 pieces. Roll each piece in the egg white and then in the chopped pecans. Place on the prepared baking sheets 1 inch apart and use your thumb or the back of a measuring spoon to make an indention in each. Cut each caramel candy into quarters and press one quarter into each cookie. Sprinkle each cookie with a bit of sea salt, if desired. Bake for about 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- When the cookies are cool, combine the chocolate chips and vegetable oil in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until melted. Stir until smooth, then use the tip of a spoon to drizzle lines of chocolate across each cookie. Serve.
Keywords: turtle thumbprint cookies, cookies