Whoever saw these little treats and said they look like turtles was one smart cookie. Whenever I am making turtles, I just think of their namesake and remember that the four legs connected by a big mound of gooey caramel and a little head popping out is the way they should be.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 25 turtles 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 8 to 10 ounces pecan halves
- 25 caramels, unwrapped
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, plus extra if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- For each turtle, place 5 pecans on the baking sheet, They should look somewhat like a turtle with a head and four legs.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the caramels with half the cream. Microwave on high, stopping and stirring every 30 seconds, for 3 to 4 minutes until completely melted and smooth. Add the sea salt and stir to incorporate. If the mixture seems overly thick, add extra cream.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the caramel over the pecans for each turtle.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips on high power in 30-second increments, stirring in between each, until melted. Spoon the melted chocolate over each cluster, covering as much or as little of the pecans as you like.
- Allow the turtles to ﬁrm up at room temperature, or in the fridge or freezer for 15 minutes.