Chocolate gelt, or chocolate coins, are typically given to children during Hanukkah. While you can find these in stores, it’s fun to make your own and paint them with edible gold dust.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Makes 48 coins 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 8 ounces dark chocolate morsels
- Edible gold luster dust
- Put the chocolate in a glass bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove the bowl, stir the chocolate, and repeat until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Have ready two 24-cup mini muffin tins.
- Drop a small amount of chocolate into the bottom of each muffin There should be enough to cover the bottom of each muffin cup and up the sides about 1/8 of an inch. Tap the muffin tins on the counter a few times to release any bubbles and to smooth the tops of the chocolate. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Turn the muffin tins upside down and tap on the counter. The coins will release easily. Using a small clean paintbrush, brush each coin with the gold dust. Serve.
- To store, place in a plastic zip-top bag in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Keywords: Hanukkah gelt, gelt, Hanukkah