Slow Cooker Vanilla-Caramel Poke Cake
My cooking friends all make fun of me because they think it’s absurd that my favorite flavor in the entire world is vanilla. When you have a vanilla dessert as sweet and velvety-rich as this, with pudding oozing from the middle, it’s hard to make an argument against it. And the dulce de leche complements the vanilla to perfection with its smooth, caramel flavor.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Chill Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8 - 10 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box white cake mix
- Vegetable oil as needed for the cake mix
- Eggs or egg whites as needed for the cake mix
- 1 (5.1-ounce) box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups milk, cold
- 1 (14-ounce) can dulce de leche, plus extra for drizzling
- Coat a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Prepare the vanilla cake batter according to the package directions and pour into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on High for 2 to 3 hours or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the insert from the slow cooker and place on a wire rack. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake, about an inch apart.
- Whisk together the pudding mix and milk until combined. Pour the pudding immediately over the cake (while it’s still thin and hasn’t had a chance to set), getting the pudding into each of the holes. Use the back of the spoon to help push the pudding into the holes as needed. Spread half of the can of dulce de leche over the pudding. (You can warm it in the microwave to make it easier to spread.)
- Let the insert cool to room temperature. Place the insert in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Drizzle with the remaining dulce de leche. Slice and serve.
Keywords: slow cooker, vanilla, caramel, poke cake