Crispy Rice Treats
The Kellogg Company ﬁrst marketed Rice Krispies as a breakfast cereal in 1928 and added melted marshmallows to create Rice Krispies Treats in 1933. The snack version really took off after Alex Doumak came up with a way to speed up and standardize the marshmallow pro duction process in 1948. Kellogg started investing in TV advertising in the 1950s, going so far as sponsoring television shows for children and adults until the FCC ruled against it in 1969. Throughout the ’50s and ’60s, these soft yet crispy treats were household staples.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 crispy rice treats 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 (10-ounce) bags mini marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- Line a 9 × 9-inch baking dish with aluminum foil.Coat the foil with cooking spray.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add 6 cups of the mini marshmallows and the salt (if using). Stir continuously until marshmallows have melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the crispy rice cereal. Stir until just barely coated in the marshmallow mixture. Stir in the remaining mini marshmallows.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and press evenly into the pan.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. Serve.
Keywords: crispy rice treats, crispy rice