Sea Breeze Salad
Jell-O might be the ultimate vintage ingredient, and the Sea Breeze Salad is a throwback recipe that celebrates that. Refrigerators were still quite expensive up until World War II, so refrigeration-based recipes, like Jell-O salads, were still the ultimate status symbol. I especially love the bright yellow coloring with this recipe because it looks so pretty and cheery when I put it on the table.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Chilling Time: 7 hours
- Total Time: 7 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 10-12 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 3 (3-ounce) packages lemon or lime Jell-O, or a combination of both
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 (15-ounce) can lemon pie filling, or 1 (6-ounce) package Jell-O instant lemon pudding/pie filling
- mix, prepared according to package directions
- 1 cup drained crushed pineapple
- 2 cups whipped cream
- In a large bowl, dissolve the Jell-O mixes in the boiling water. Add the cold water and mix well. Chill according to the package instructions until thickened.
- Stir the lemon pie ﬁlling or prepared lemon pudding into the thickened Jell-O and whip using a whisk or hand mixer until blended. Reserve 1 cup of the mixture.
- Stir the pineapple into the remaining Jell-O mixture.
- Pour into a 9 × 13-inch glass dish or decorative bowl. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, until set.
- Fold the reserved 1 cup Jell-O mixture into the whipped cream. Spread the mixture evenly over the Jell-O.
- Chill for 1 hour or until set. Serve.
Keywords: sea breeze salad