Mocha Me Crazy Icebox Cake
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 cake; serves 8 to 10 1x
- Category: Desserts
- 1 (9-ounce) package chocolate wafer cookies
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 3 1/2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 12 ounces chocolate chips or melting chocolate wafer
- Crush the cookies in a food processor to the consistency of wet sand.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk until it begins to steam. Stir in the espresso powder and set aside to steep.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer ﬁtted with the wire whip, whip 2 1/2 cups of the heavy whipping cream on high until foamy. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same mixer bowl (no need to wash) using the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese and granulated sugar and mix for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until smooth.
Add the espresso-milk mixture and stir to incorporate. Fold the two mixtures together until no white streaks remain. Place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Meanwhile, put the chocolate chips in a large bowl. Heat the remaining 1 cup heavy whipping cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until steamy. Pour the cream over the chips and stir until a smooth, shiny ganache forms.
- Place half the crumbs into a greased 8-inch springform pan and press with your ﬁngertips to form a bottom crust. Spoon in half the whipped ﬁlling and smooth. Pour 1/2 cup of the ganache over the ﬁlling and carefully smooth. Repeat the layering.
- Chill the cake for at least 3 hours before serving.